This scholarship was established in 2007 by an anonymous donor wishing to honor the memory of Marc Sawatzky and provide financial assistance to students pursuing their education at Fresno Pacific University. Marc was a transfer student from Reedley College to FPU in January 2006 who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident in October 2006. He was a friendly person on the face of the campus during his short tenure here. Students enjoyed his sense of humor and commitment to friendships, and faculty appreciated his dedication to his studies and grasp of biblical and theological concepts, as well as spiritual development. He was a math major with a secondary-teaching emphasis who was also very involved in the Dinuba Mennonite Brethren Church. Marc's parents, Ken and Martha, are also alumni of FPU.
This scholarship is to honor the memory of Marc—his friendliness, his dedication, his devotion. We remember his humor and laughter in relationships, his hard work and enthusiasm in his studies, and his understanding and awareness of spiritual things.
- Preference given to students going into the field of education for undergraduate and credential studies;
- Preference given to students who show a particular emphasis towards children and their spiritual needs;
- Exhibited academic ability in previous studies;
- Student athletes must meet NCAA Division II Regulations for scholarships;
- Evidence of Christian commitment to the Lordship of Christ in their life;
- Personal character reflects the moral and ethical standards of Fresno Pacific University.