The Dr. Richard S. Unruh Annual Political Science Scholarship was established in 2013 to reward the pursuit of excellence on the part of students majoring in Political Science, Pre-law, and Social Science Secondary Teaching. Dr. Unruh received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Pacific College (now Fresno Pacific University) in 1967. He subsequently taught political science at Fresno Pacific for forty-four years, retiring in 2012. Dr. Unruh's commitment to Christian higher education is why he spent his academic career at Fresno Pacific. It was a career characterized by a commitment to academic excellence, and encouraging students to think critically, expand their horizons, and always achieve their best.
- Students who will be seniors at FPU and who will have completed at least one full year at the university;
- Students who are majoring in Political Science, Pre-law, or Social Science Secondary Teaching;
- Students who have a minimum GPA of 3.5 in their major, and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in their coursework at the university
- Student athletes must meet NCAA Division II Regulations for scholarships;
- Students who exhibit strong critical thinking skills, enhance the intellectual quality of their classes, and contribute to the intellectual life of the university;
- Students whose personal character reflects the values of FPU;
- Students who show significant promise of future success in their chosen field of study.
Have a letter of Character Reference mailed to:
Fresno Pacific University
Advancement Office Attn: Connie McNeely
1717 S. Chestnut Ave.
Fresno, CA 93702-4709
Please describe how developing strong critical thinking skills has been of benefit to your education, and how might it be of benefit to you in your future career.