Leon S. Peters was born in Fowler, California, and graduated from Fowler High School as valedictorian of his class. The eldest of five children, he experienced the loss of his mother when he was just 17 years old. He worked daily on his father's ranch, helped raise the other children and also did custom tractor work in what little spare time he had.
Leon's industrious and enterprising nature soon caught the attention of the manager of Valley Foundry and Machine Works. He was offered a job, worked his way up to manager and eventually purchased the company.
With business and financial success clearly in his grasp, Leon, along with his wife Alice, devoted much time and money to various community activities. In fact, he was often heard to say, "The community has been good to me, and I want to give something back to it."
This scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to Central Valley students attending FPU who have a desire to serve and contribute to the bettering of their community.
- Preference given to students from Fresno County;
- Secondary preference given to students from California Central Valley (Stockton to Bakersfield);
- Enrolled in a master's degree program at one of Fresno Pacific University's Fresno campuses;
- Incoming or current students with a 3.5 cumulative GPA;
- Evidence of a strong work ethic;
- Proven commitment to continue serving the Fresno community following graduation;
- Personal character reflects the moral and ethical standards of Fresno Pacific University;
- A CUM GPA of 3.5 is required to re-apply for this scholarship.
Please submit an essay expounding on your future goals and community involvement.